Thursday 7 January 2010

Vlad the Impaler - Kasabian





As we have decided to do our music video to I Can Talk by Two Door Cinema Club, I decided to look at Kasabian's music video's as they are also an Indie band. Vlad the Impaler captured my attention as the video details a narrative of a the killer 'Vlad the Impaler' hunting and killing people. I thought this reflected our finalised idea of featuring an assumed evil clown, and also because the video is set mainly in a wooded area, which is where we would like to set our video. Furthermore the video is solely narrative, the artists do not feature in the video at all, which is perfect as our video will be solely narrative.

The overall colour of the video is very antique, with a slight brownish dull tone to it, and erratic editing. The shots all have a oval shape to them, with the black disintegrating into the shot, it is very nostalgic of old aged films in cinemas. The editing is very fast paced and erratic, making the narrative quite nonsensical, yet incredibly captivating. The lyrics do vaguely reflect the narrative, with violent lines such as 'All my friends are as sharp as razors, cut you down if you touch the fades, High class girls hung in elevators' and 'Cut throat this blood runs thick'. However the Narrative does not follow the lyrics in a linear way, for example on the line 'I'm frying in the heat in the cauldron stir me' there is not an image of a cauldron, the lyrics are not reflected exactly in the video.

I really like the overall colour of the video, and the dark attire of the lead actor playing 'Vlad the Impaler'. I think the footage in the woods is incredibly striking with the blueish light from the moon shining between the branches and silhouetting against the white shirt of the man walking through. I also like the point of view shots in the wood, showing the light of the torch through the dark dense trees. I like the shots where the focus is pulled, and the extremely fast zooms into Vlad's face, and into screaming mouths/faces, adding intensity and drama. I also think the shots of people running through the woods with the yellowish spotlight that looks like a flashlight also adds to the drama of the situation, whilst looking interesting. Furthermore I like the repetitive shot of Vlad walking along the road, giving it the feeling that hes omnipresent, and always hunting people. The shots are mostly handheld, which adds real drama and authenticity to the shots. Overall I really enjoy watching the video, I think it is re-watchable, fascinating and will be a helpful video to re-watch during the process of making and editing our music video


.

No comments:

Post a Comment